Sunday, August 21, 2011

Black Church screenprinting course (July-August 2011)

For the past 6 weeks I have been taking screenprinting classes in the Black Church Studio,Temple Bar. I decided to do a project on New York and used imagery I had taken from the city during my visit in 2009. When we were walking down Broadway one morning a poet/musician, Joey Chang, was sitting on the street with a typewriter on his lap. He asked us if we would like him to write a poem for us, we just needed to give him a start-point. We told him this was our first time in NYC, so he wrote us a poem based on Irish folks first coming to NYC and how we have become part of the city's culture. This is what the first set of prints I did in Black Church are based on. The second set of prints are from images I took in the Village Vanguard jazz venue in West Village and the Guggenheim.

No comments: